Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Rend Lake - Gun Creek Campground - Whittington, Illinois


Whittington, IL - Sunny, 90 degrees.

Today started off with a dead battery in our Honda.  Roger is always prepared, so the jumper cables got the car started. Our first stop was a trip to Auto Zone in Benton, Illinois, just a few miles down the road.  They installed the battery for us.  Thank goodness they were open on Sunday.

We took a ride through Gun Creek Campground where we are staying.  We were in site 7 which is a handicap site that had a nice concrete patio.  We were told that anyone can use the handicap sites.  There were several still unoccupied.  We didn't get a lake site but that probably was a good thing.  Seemed like the local families were using them.  We were in a nice quiet section.  We had electric only and with the Access Pass it was $8 per day.  A full-time RVer told us the max number of days was 28 - he was a happy camper paying just $8 a day for 28 days.



All the sites were very nice.  Some had full hook-ups.



The area around Rend Lake is huge.  Next to the campground is a lodge, golf course, sports bar and restaurant.  There is a very large visitor center and art gallery.  Unfortunately it was closed while we were here.  There is a beach and a marina too.  I thought the golf ball water tower was pretty neat.


Just a short distance from the campground we crossed the bridge over Rend Lake.


Next we drove through Wayne Fitzgerald State Park, another great campground on the lake. What was most surprising to me was that there were two "Boatels" also - a lodge along with a terrific place to dock boats.  Pretty snazzy.


When we returned to our campsite we opened up the Nu Wave Cooktop box.  I had one stainless steel sauce pan that was magnetic and would work with the Nu Wave.  I was amazed at how quickly the water boiled.  Boiled some pasta for a pasta salad. A skillet came with the Nu Wave so my next items to try will be bacon and eggs.  Nothing smells better than bacon cooking in a campground in the early morning.  I already know that I love this new cooktop.


While cooking outside I was stung with a wasp.  A spot quickly came up on my leg.  I rubbed on some "Active On" and within minutes the stinging went away and there was never any itching.  I previously used this on a mosquito bite and it worked amazingly well.  This is really for aches and pains but I accidentally found it works great on insect bites. I buy it at Walgreens.









2 comments:

  1. Think I'll head to Walgreens tomorrow. I got eaten up the other night by mosquitoes and I itch so bad. I've often thought the NuWave might be a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you only use special pans on the NuWave? It looks like you're enjoying a leisurely drive across country.

    ReplyDelete